Sunday, April 21, 2013

Influenster Sugar 'N Spice Voxbox Review

I was chosen to receive the "Sugar 'N Spice" Voxbox from Influenster, which was the second of two campaigns that they've had so far this year.  I received my box in the beginning of March.  If you're unfamiliar with Influenster, please check out my previous reviews by clicking here.


Influenster definitely stepped up their packaging with this box.  Previous boxes had just been packaged in plain white boxes, so these orange ones were a fun change.  It made me feel more like I was part of a program as opposed to just receiving a random box of stuff.


I hope that in the future I'm able to receive one of the badge-specific boxes (especially the "Eco" one), because more often than not my experience with Influenster has been that they include a lot of brands that are not cruelty-free.  The reason I still choose to participate is because I'm hoping to receive the Eco box, and the more active you are within the community, the better your chances.  I don't love the idea of using products that aren't cruelty-free, and their status as such is included in my reviews.


The Sugar 'N Spice Voxbox contained seven items total, only two of which I really enjoyed using.


  • Splenda Nectresse - I have never tried an artificial sweetener that I liked, and this one was no different.  Apparently it's derived from Monk Fruit, but to me it just tasted exactly like Splenda.  I just don't like that artificial taste (whether it be Splenda, stevia, etc.), so I'll be sticking with sugar.
  • Colgate Optic White Mouthwash, Toothpaste, and Toothbrush - This trio is supposed to help whiten teeth.  I needed a new toothbrush so I was able to put that to good use, but I won't be using the mouthwash and toothpaste.  The mouthwash tasted horrible, I can't really compare it to anything, it just was not good.  I'm not using the toothpaste because I have sensitive teeth and whitening products are usually too harsh for them.  Colgate is also not a cruelty-free company.
  • Vaseline Spray & Go Total Moisture - I tried this, but I don't like it.  Aside from Vaseline being owned by Unilever (not cruelty-free), it was loaded with ingredients that I don't like to use (ammonium, parabens, and the like).  I have a spray body oil from Deep Steep that I currently use, and I won't be replacing it with this.  If natural ingredients aren't a concern for you, though, I do think that you would enjoy this product due to its ease of use.
  • Dickinson's Original Witch Hazel Oil Controlling Towelettes - This was my favorite product of the bunch.  I've used Dickinson's Witch Hazel before, and I love that these towelettes only have three ingredients (witch hazel, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, and sodium benzoate) and are cruelty-free.  I used these to remove my makeup after work and to relieve the oily feeling on my face, and they worked really well.  I'll definitely be purchasing more in the future.
  • belVita Breakfast Biscuits - These were the other product that I really enjoyed.  They were delicious and I'm going to see if I can grab some the next time I go grocery shopping.

Bottom Line: Overall this box had some hits and some misses, but I've come to expect that from Influenster.  I think they did a great job of including a variety of products for this box, and you can't argue with a 100% free assortment of items to try.


*Disclaimer: I received this box from Influenster for free as part of their product review program.  I was not monetarily compensated for my review and the honest opinions here are entirely my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog! I love any and all feedback and I read every comment.