Saturday, April 18, 2015

April Birchbox Review

Birchbox has been sending really beautiful box designs this year, but April's box has been my favorite by far! They teamed up with Rifle Paper Co. and created something that I think is perfect for spring.

*Disclaimer: This box was purchased by See, Shop, Love! Post contains referral links.


Isn't the box so pretty? I'm trying to think how I want to repurpose it. If you're not familiar with Rifle Paper Co., they're a stationery company but they sell everything from journals to calendars to paper coasters. I love their designs, and you can check them out here!


But back to the box. Obviously, the theme here is spring and fresh blooms. The weather is finally getting to be nice (and staying that way) here, and I'm welcoming the sunshine after a particularly bitter winter.

If you are brand new to the subscription box world then I suppose there's a chance you haven't heard of Birchbox, so just in case, it costs $10 per month (a little bit more if you live in New York) and they'll send you four to five deluxe samples from top beauty brands. Sometimes they even include full-sized products. There are a ton of features to this subscription that would take way too long to describe here, so you can visit the site for more info.


My box was just so-so this month. I have gotten some boxes in the past, albeit very long ago, that I absolutely abhorred, but this one was more of a "meh" than a "wtf!" It wasn't that any of the samples were bad, just that they didn't really fit my needs or wants.

  • Whish Shave Crave Shaving Cream in Blueberry ($2.96 for .75 fl oz) - I got a sample of this in the Pomegranate scent when I purchased a "Build Your Own Birchbox" at the Birchbox Soho Store and I really wanted to like it, but unfortunately I didn't. The blueberry smell is okay, it's pretty sweet, but what I don't like about this cream is that it isn't really effective. I felt that it left residue on my razor, plus since I was using it in the shower it didn't stick to my skin well enough.
  • Hydro Nutritive Repairing Shampoo ($3.44 for 2 fl oz) - I like getting any type of hair product in my boxes except shampoo and conditioners. My scalp is the oiliest in the land so I have a specific shampoo and conditioner combo that works really well for me and I don't see myself ever using anything else, so I'm most likely not even going to try any samples I get (unless they promise to help balance my scalp).
  • Hydro Nutritive Repairing Conditioner ($3.04 for 1.35 fl oz) - So a full-sized bottle of the shampoo costs $15, but the conditioner costs $16. Why not just make them the same price?
  • Laqa & Co. Lip Lube in Honeypot ($14.00 for .07 oz) - This is almost a full-sized product (full-sized is .1 oz), so that's nice. I actually do enjoy the Laqa & Co. Lip Lubes, but this is one of their sheer shades and it has basically no pigmentation. It works nice as a gloss, I guess, but I would prefer one with more color.
  • Jouer Tint in Petal ($9.43 for .03 oz) - This was my sample choice product and is also my favorite item in the box. It can be used on lips or cheeks and I'll probably use it as a cheek color. It is silky smooth and blends like a dream. I have used cheek creams in the past that didn't glide across the skin well, so you're left with a splotchy mess (note cute), but this one is fantastic.
Bottom Line: My Birchbox had an approximate total retail value of $32.87! The Laqa & Co. made up most of that value, but I'm still happy with that. Although I only will use about half of my box, I really like the Jouer tint and will get good use out of the Lip Lube, even if it isn't that pigmented.

What did you get in your Birchbox this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog! I love any and all feedback and I read every comment.