Friday, April 15, 2016

Build Your Own Birchbox Review

I went to New York City last weekend for the FDNY v. NYPD Ice Hockey Heroes game at Madison Square Garden (which was so much fun, by the way), and while I was down there I had two other main objectives: buy as many tubs of Cornflake-Chocolate Chip-Marshmallow cookie mix as I could from Milk Bar, and hit up the Birchbox store.

*Disclaimer: This box was purchased by See, Shop, Love!


The last time I was at the Birchbox store in Soho was December of 2014 (read all about it here) so I was really excited to go back and see what new products they had. If you've never been to the store and have the opportunity to go, then you should definitely go! They have tons of full-sized products available, a salon, and a Birchbox Man section. I didn't shop the full-sized products because I didn't need anything, but I made a beeline for the Build Your Own Birchbox section.

How does it work? Exactly as it sounds. For $15 you can choose five samples from hair care, cosmetics, skin care, fragrance, and...I don't remember the last category. There are big bins of samples though, and you choose one from each category.


The store associate was assisting another customer and there were a few others browsing the section, but I got to work right away because I already knew the drill. They had more samples to choose from this time around so it was hard for me to choose just one from each category!
  • St. Tropez Gradual Tan Moisturizer - I didn't know what this was when I grabbed it. I thought it was just a facial moisturizer but it's also a tanning product. I'm not sure whether I'll use it or not because I don't use any other tanning products and I don't want my face to end up darker than the rest of my body.
  • Oribe Masque for Beautiful Color - I grabbed this as soon as I saw it! I love Oribe products and I wanted to get their "for Beautiful Color" line after I got highlights, but they're expensive and I just couldn't justify spending that much on shampoo and conditioner. I used this for the first time tonight and it left my hair feeling wonderfully soft and smooth.
  • Raw Spirit Desert Blush - This smells so amazing! It was the only perfume sample to choose from that I hadn't already tried and I'm so glad I picked it up. It's a floral with notes of Australian Boronia, ylang ylang, osmanthus, jasmine petals, and violets. It's also spicy, with Australian sandalwood, cedarwood, and musk. I don't usually like florals, but the warm spicy notes in this make it perfect.
  • Jouer Daily Clarifying Treatment Oil - I love using skincare oils. This moisturizes and tones while also combating clogged pores. It absorbs quickly and doesn't make my skin feel too heavy after applying it.
  • Laqa & Co Cheeky Lip in Mixtape - I couldn't find this exact product on the Birchbox site, but it's a bright red chunky pencil that, I'm assuming based on the name, can be used on your lips or cheeks. I'm going to stick to using this on my lips.
Raw Spirit Desert Blush perfume

Jouer Daily Clarifying Treatment Oil

Laqa & Co Cheeky Lip in Mixtape
Bottom Line: Sure, a Build Your Own Birchbox costs $5 more than a regular Birchbox, but it's fun! I like being able to choose my own samples and they had a great selection this time. I'm not sure how often they update it, but probably once every few months at the most. The whole store is a lot of fun to shop, so even if you aren't interested in a Build Your Own, I still recommend giving them a visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog! I love any and all feedback and I read every comment.